The current situation in Praia da Luz is the same as the rest of Portugal and a bit like the rest of Europe, with the spread of the coronavírus Covid-19, the Portuguese Government instituted a emergency situation, that of course is being followed in the village of Luz like everywhere else, ill give you a brief summary of the situation and good procedures to take to keep yourself and everyone safe.
Currently on the 21st of March everything is good and relaxed in Praia da Luz, there isn’t a outbreak but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t follow the rules, please note that most shops and restaurants are closed with some having take away, the supermarkets Batista and Spar are open as well as the Pharmacy but also note that these are open with restrictions and with different opening hours, the main restriction is on the number of people inside, so you will be asked to line at the door if the capacity is full, this is done to keep everyone as separate as possible, if there is a queue outside, please stand 2 meters apart from each other.
So here are the rules to follow! STAY HOME! If you don’t have a good reason to be outside then stay home, social distancing is the current recommended method to curb this disease, I still see some people chatting about in Luz, you can do so, but please keep the 2 meter distancing, try not to touch this and people, unless of course you are also at home together!
As of now and by law these are the official reasons you have to leave your home!
1. You have to go buy essential goods and services.
2. You need to move because of business or professional reasons, this includes job seeking.
3. You need for medical reasons, going to get medicine or going to a hospital.
4. For reasons of protecting people from violence, protecting children from danger or by court order like family visits.
5. For assistance to vulnerable people, this includes family members, children, elderly, dependents, as well as delivery of essential goods to these people or any that have been quarantined.
6. To accompany minors, both for short duration walks (please keep social distancing) as well to frequent school.
7. Short duration walks for physical activity (please keep social distancing), it is forbidden to do group exercises!
8. For volunteer work.
9. To go to a court, police station, post office, bank and insurance company.
10. Short duration walks with animals, feeding of animals (please keep social distancing) or going to the vets.
11. If you have a government authorization to move for security or legal reasons, this includes diplomatic missions.
12. Strictly necessary to exercise the freedom of the press.
13. If you are returning home.
14. And all other extremely important and unavoidable reasons if well justified.
If you don’t have a good reason to leave then you might be fined as well as get 120 days or up to 1 year of prison, but more important than the fines and jail is that this is for your own good but also for everyone else’s…
Do you want to help fight this virus? Great, stay at home!
If you need to leave your home please follow these basic steps to keep yourself safe!
1. Wash your hands with soap extremely well before leaving your home.
2. NEVER TOUCH YOUR FACE WHEN YOU ARE OUTSIDE, that and coughing on you are the only ways to get infected, so don’t touch for any reason your face/mouth/eyes/nose/ears while outside, this will keep you protected from contaminated surfaces.
3. Keep social distancing at least 2 meters apart, this will keep you protected from airborne spread.
4. If you need to sneeze or cough do so on a tissue and discard it on the trash, if you don’t have one, sneeze or cough into your inner elbow.
5. When possible or required wash your hands again or use alcohol based gels.
6. When returning home, leave your clothes and shoes at the door, change into slippers or socks (don’t touch them) and go wash your hands again extremely well.
That’s it follow these simple rules and you will be safe, no need for masks or gloves, just follow these rules, these are good for this current disease but also good for influenza and other pathogens, so be safe and smart, protect yourself and others stay home!
Any questions feel free to comment!